104 years old Tala Tank happens to be the world’s largest overhead reservoir and has a capacity of storing nine-million-gallons of water in four of its compartment. A portion of this tank has been recently restored completely since signs of corrosion in the steel plates of some of the chambers were found which might have caused the tank to collapse. Mayor Firhad Hakim inaugurated the north-western portion of the newly restored reservoir whose repairing works began in May 2017. All the four chambers of the reservoir will be restored in phases so that water supply is not disrupted completely. Hakim said that the historic Tala Tank will be all restored by 2020. It was found necessary to restore the Tala Tank after engineers found signs of corrosion in the steel plates of the four chambers. The estimated cost of restoring the whole tank is RS 80 crores out of which 70% will be borne by the state government and the remaining 30% by the Centre. The Bridge and Roof Company has been assigned to restore the reservoir. Mayor Firhad Hakim said,
Just as we are repairing the reservoirs after 100 years, the people will acknowledge the contribution of the present civic board 100 years later.